Tips for Conserving Water During Drought Season
Conserve Water During a Drought in Florida
Water is essential for sustaining life so it is extremely important to make an effort to try and conserve as much water as we can. This is especially important for well owners during Florida’s drought season. With the combination of low precipitation and Florida’s hot sun, water levels can quickly fall and leave homeowners without sufficient water. When this happens, measures have to be taken in order to use only the right amount of water that is needed and reduce the amount of water wasted. If we use water as wisely as possible, then there will be more water available for us, for plant life and for wildlife. While it may seem difficult to cut back on the amount of water that you use, there are always to conserve water without hindering necessary daily tasks. At Perry’s Pump Repair, we perform well pump repair Gainesville, FL, residents can rely on for fast and quality work.
Water Conservation Tips
- About 30 percent of household water goes into flushing. That means that by reducing the amount of times that you flush your toilet during the day, you can conserve a large amount of water. You can also invest in water-saving toilets or urinals.
- Rather than throwing away the starchy water that is left behind after cooking pasta, vegetables, potatoes, etc., drain it into a bucket. It can be used to water your garden or vegetable patch as it is beneficial for it.
- Long showers use up a lot of water, try making them shorter. If your shower takes long to warm up, use buckets to catch the cold water until it heats up and reuse that clean water for other purposes.
- Use washing machines only for full loads and wash your clothes only if they are actually dirty and in need of it. Often times if clothes are only worn for a short time, they can be used again.
- Avoid using the dishwasher and instead wash dishes by hand since you can better control the amount of water you use. If you choose to use the dishwasher, be sure that it is full each time.
- Rather than using the garbage disposal, you can try to compost vegetable food waste. This will save you various gallons of water.
- Turn off the faucet when you are brushing your teeth or shaving. You can also fill up a cup of water and use just that.
- Ensure that your pipes are not leaking.
- Add mulch outdoors to cover the soil around your garden. This will help keep moisture from evaporating and require you to water your plants less.
- Adjust your sprinklers to ensure that only the areas that need to be watered are receiving it. Also be sure that they are timed to either water early in the morning or in the evening when temperatures are cooler.
- Use a broom to clean outside rather than a hose.
- Use native plants in your yard since they will be more appropriate for the climate and require less watering.
Pump Repair Services in Gainesville, FL
At Perry’s Pump Repair, we understand the difficulties of struggling with low levels of water which is why we believe in the importance of conserving water especially during drought season. Contact us today for all your water well needs, we perform Gainesville water pump installation, well water testing, water well drilling services, pump repairs and more.